Working at Town Farm
At Town Farm, we hire three full-time employees each year (with part-time hours in winter). We also hire a part-time weeding/harvesting crew for mid-May through the end of August. Additionally, we hire one person to assist at our market stand just on Tuesdays.
We seek workers with the following characteristics:
- Desire and ability to work fast and hard under various adverse conditions
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to think on your feet
- Sense of humor and generous group spirit
- Desire to learn
- Ability to work in groups as well as alone
- Interest in animals & children
All full-time workers are involved in almost every aspect of the farm operation, including:
- Field prep
- Greenhouse production
- Crop cultivation
- Washing and processing
- Marketing and customer interaction
- Machinery operation
- Daily animal care for our goats and chickens (sometimes we have lambs and pigs)
In exchange for their labor, workers receive:
- An hourly wage of $9 - $11/hour
- Free produce plus goat's milk, some cheese, meat, & eggs, when available
- On-the-job training in a wide range of agricultural skills
- Usage of workshop, tools, and sauna
- One week-long unpaid vacation during the main growing season April-September
- Workers' comp
We are now hiring for our 2013 season. We seek one worker who is relatively new to farming, and one worker with at least one full season of experience on a production-oriented farm. If you are interested in applying, please fill out this application and return it to us by email (email@example.com) or mail. We will not hire any applicants without meeting and working briefly with them. Two references from previous or current employers are required.
This position requires excellent skills in observation, organization, instruction, and communication. Applicants must show a familiarity with many aspects of crop production, from seeding to cultivation to harvest and processing. Applicants will ideally have experience with tractor operation and general familiarity with tools and machinery. Ability to follow directions and to think and act independently are equally important. We are looking for an applicant who is easy-going but not shy about telling people or plants what they need to do. Familiarity with spreadsheets is highly desirable. At least one full season on a production-oriented farm is required. Preference is given to applicants who can work through the winter and who are seeking multiple years of employment.
General Farm Crew
The ability to work hard and to learn are more important than previous farm experience for these positions. Applicants should be in good physical shape and ready to spend week upon week performing repetitive tasks under variously adverse conditions (heat, rain, dust, pollen, cold, etc.). Applicants must be able to move & think very quickly, to lift 50lbs with ease, to follow directions, and to accept & learn from constructive criticism. Applicants will need to have shown in previous jobs consistency, reliability, and a good work ethic.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday are full work days on the farm. Wednesdays and Saturdays are partial work days. Work hours are 7:00AM - 5:30PM, with numerous exceptions. Here are some of the exceptions:
- We begin work at 6:00AM on Mondays & Tuesdays May-September and during periods of high heat
- Each crew member works on their own for a few Saturday mornings or Wednesday mornings each month (schedule to be determined among the crew).
- At least one crew member works until 7:30 or 8:00 every Tuesday, May through November
- The crew works until 7:00PM one or two days per week during the planting season (May/June)
- We begin work at 8:00AM in March/April and October/November
We do not provide housing to our workers, but our farm is located right in Northampton, where rentals are abundant.
All Town Farm Workers receive their own office (see below). Large workspace! Excellent ventilation!